Makes: 8 burritos
The Billyboil is particularly handy in this recipe. Once you’ve cooked the bean mix, you can leave it aside while you can prepare the other ingredients, without fear of anything boiling over or getting cold. “Burrito kits” from the supermarket usually contain the spice mix, tortillas and salsa all in one to make shopping easier. The other ingredients are pantry standards. You can also use this recipe to make vegetarian bean tacos.
- 8 burrito tortillas
Spicy bean mix:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crush and chopped
- 400g can black beans or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- the kernels from 2 corn cobs, or a small can of corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 50g Mexican spice mix / burrito seasoning
- 1 cup of cold water
Serving ingredients (optional):
- Tomato salsa
- Light sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Cooked rice
- Shredded lettuce or salad mix
- Fresh tomatoes, diced
- Mashed avocado or guacamole
- Cilantro (Fresh coriander leaves)
- Mexican hot sauce
- Heat oil in the Billyboil inner pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until softened.
- Add beans and corn. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the spice mix and one cup of water. Stir well, until water comes to the boil.
- Lower heat and continue to cook uncovered for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Give one last stir and then cover with lid.
- Turn off the stove burner. Transfer the inner pot into the insulated outer pot and close the lid.
- The Billyboil will keep the bean mix hot until you are ready to eat.
- Prepare the other serving ingredients and place into small serving bowls.
- Heat the tortillas in the oven or microwave, following the packet instructions.
One person can make all of the burritos, or each person can make their own, choosing their favourite ingredients.
- Spoon the bean mix onto a tortilla.
- Top with small amounts of serving ingredients (be careful: add too much and your burrito will not fold properly).
- To wrap the burrito, fold the bottom over the filling and then the sides.