This easy Italian-style chicken tomato casserole with leek, parsley and olives is a definite crowd pleaser. Cook in the Billyboil for multiple hours for extra tender juicy chicken.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1kg free range chicken pieces, various cuts with skin. (Fresh or completely defrosted.)
- clove of crushed garlic
- 1 leek, pale section, thinly sliced.
- 1 x 400g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 170g tomato paste
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- A dash of different dried herbs from the pantry to taste, e.g. Basil, Smoked Paprika, Parsley, Rosemary. Or about a tablespoon of herb mix.
- 100g kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup firmly packed chopped fresh continental parsley
- Salt and Pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the Billyboil inner pot on the stove on medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook turning occasionally until browned all over. Transfer to a plate. Repeat for the remaining chicken pieces.
Heat more oil in the same pot and sauté the crushed garlic and sliced leek until soft. Return the browned chicken to the pot.
Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, and dried herbs. Ensure that the liquid is covering the chicken, if not, add stock or water.
Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
Let the mixture bubble/ simmer for a minute or two without boiling over to ensure that the contents of the pot are well heated through.
With an oven mitt or heat proof glove, transfer the Billyboil inner pot into the Billyboil outerpot and close the lid.
Let the dish cook in its retained heat for at least an hour (up to six hours). Meanwhile cook rice or other side dishes to serve with the casserole (see step eight).
Take the inner pot out of the outer pot. Stir in fresh parsley and olives. Season with salt and pepper.
Step Eight (optional)