This is a beautiful, nutritious soup the whole family will enjoy. There is no set recipe for traditional Italian minestrone, so fell free to mix it up with whatever vegetables are in season.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crush and chopped
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 cup of green beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks , diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans of tinned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of Conchiglie (shell) pasta
- 1 can of berlotti or canneloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Toasted Pane di Casa bread
- Heat the oil in the Billyboil inner pot
- Cook the garlic and onion until soft.
- Add the green beans, carrot and celery until softened (about 5 minutes)
- Add the dried herbs and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the tinned tomato and stock. Put the lid on the pot and bring the ingredients to the boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the pasta and canned beans.
- Replace the lid on the pot and bring the ingredients back to the boil.
- Once boiling, give the ingredients another quick stir. Replace the lid and turn off the stove.
- Immediately place the pot into the Billyboil insulated outer pot.
- Leave to cook for 30 minutes.
- Distribute the soup into bowls and sprinkle fresh basil and parmesan on top of each serving.
- Serve with toast.